Sunday, March 20, 2011

From My Reading #1

(In this column, I'll take excerpts from my daily readings that stand out to me and post them here, probably with some of my commentary.)

"A common but futile strategy for achieving joy is trying to eliminate things that hurt: get rid of pain by numbing the nerve ends, get rid of insecurity by eliminating risks, get rid of disappointment by depersonalizing your relationships. And then try to lighten the boredom of such a life by buying joy in the form of vacations and entertainment." -Eugene Peterson, A Long Obedience In The Same Direction

Ouch. Must keep taking risks and investing more personally in my relationships. I need to overcome my insecurity with my new identity in Christ and trust that God will preserve me through disappointment.

God has brought me this far. He will see me through to the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment