Thursday, March 24, 2011

Get Real: Brutal Honesty for Brutal Times #1

(We all know that things are not how they should be, in the world nor in our own hearts. But we would be foolish to avoid or ignore these things, for they speak of our true condition at the time. When we allow the truth of God to come up against these raw, messed-up situations, that is where healing begins. In this column, I'll write about a situation like this from my own life.

I wrote this on my laptop last Saturday:

Why I (Sometimes) Don’t Like to Eat
• Due to how stressed I am, I often feel sick after I eat.
• I often end up eating alone, which isn’t fun.
• I don’t know how to cook good food.
• I don’t like to buy a variety of ingredients because they often end up going bad before I can eat them.
• If I don’t plan enough time to eat, I often end up buying something on the way, which costs more money.

I need to bring my eating into the Kingdom of God. But how?

3 comments:

  1. I relate, especially to the no-cooking-knowledge and food-going-bad points. Would it be atrociously un-spiritual to suggest getting a rice cooker and steaming rice and broccoli in it? That's been my first workable baby step towards reintroducing plant matter into my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ask other people what they buy, and how they cook it. Beth's idea is a good one. rice is easy and filling.
    read articles on what's cheap and healthy and easy and buy those things.
    I'm only just now learning to do the same: buying things that won't go bad, but learning the art and adventure of trying new things WITH people. it's more enjoyable and health-full. Jesus turned water into wine, so I'm pretty sure it's okay to try to be adventurous with food :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All good points. I got this cookbook w/ simple recipes that I want to try. I was thinking of inviting some people over to cook with. Perhaps during spring break.

    ReplyDelete